We provide access to the MUSH through a number of means for players who are connecting from mobile devices, from behind restrictive firewalls at work, and the like.
If you are a current, active, player, and you've got work-restricted access and/or are a mobile user (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.) who doesn't currently have access to a shell account (SSH access), you can get a special-access account by sending +mail to Helix with your desired username (3 to 8 letters, all lowercase).
Using Your Account
Your account is:
- Accessible via SSH or any browser
- Running GNU screen, so your sessions are continuous and automatically resumed
- Automatically connected to the game via the TinyFugue client
Please don't use this account to do anything other than connect to the game.
- Connect via an SSH client, or via a browser (see instructions sent by Helix, and devices listed below)
- Enter your username and password (which is DIFFERENT from your character name and password!)
- If this is your first time logging in, you will automatically be taken to the game's login screen
- If this is not your first time logging in, and you're not currently connected to the game, type /world rta
- Play normally
You can simply close your SSH application or browser window in order to log out of your account.
If you don't type QUIT, your character will stay logged in. This is useful for iPhone users, other mobile devices, or any instance where you want to close down the app without dropping your connection to the character. The next time you log in, you'll just pick up from wherever you were.
By default, TF's "more" screen-paging mode is turned off.
To turn it on, use /more on — when you see the MORE prompt, use the TAB key to continue.
To turn it off again, use /more off
By default, TF's "visual" split-screen mode is turned off.
To turn it on, use /visual on
To turn it off again, use /visual off
To add a "world", i.e., a character, to your TinyFugue configuration, use:
/addworld nickname character password roadtoamber.com 6250
To connect to that character, use /world nickname
To save your worlds, use /saveworld
How to Connect from Various Devices
Browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc.)
iPhone / iPad
Other Mobile Devices
MidpSSH is a free SSH client that works on mobile devices that support J2ME. That's a broad spectrum of mobile devices, and includes phones from Nokia, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Siemens, and Sony-Ericsson.
PuTTY is a free SSH client for the PC.
If you can't install anything directly on your PC, but your PC has a working USB port, use PortaPuTTY, which is a version of PuTTY designed to be run from a USB drive.
SSH comes with the Mac.
Open a Terminal window (strongly recommended: use the "Pro" style)
Type ssh hostname (where hostname is the server name that Helix sent you).